mbbvs-princeton-halftime-wang-son

A strong Princeton defense held freshman forward Michael Wang to zero points as the Quakers were unable to pull away in the first half.

Credit: Son Nguyen

The Quakers came in looking for revenge, but they’re going to have to fight hard to get it. 

One week after falling to Princeton in a heartbreaking overtime loss, Penn men’s basketball is tied with the Tigers, 27-27, after 20 minutes of play. 

The game was close early on due to strong defensive play from both teams. The Red and Blue prevented the Tigers from generating open looks on offense, forcing three turnovers by Princeton center Richmond Aririguzoh in the first four minutes of the contest. However, the Quakers were unable to create scoring opportunities of their own, as they were forced to take several long-range and off-balance shots.

Penn settled into the game in the middle of the half and seized the lead away from the Tigers. A 12-0 run highlighted by strong passing and three-pointers from senior guard Jackson Donahue and freshman guard Bryce Washington gave the Quakers the advantage. 

Throughout this stretch, the Red and Blue were able to continue their impressive play on defense. Despite allowing nine offensive rebounds in the half, Penn held the Tigers to no field goals for over eight minutes. Junior forward AJ Brodeur was particularly key on that side of the ball, recording five rebounds, two blocks, and a steal. 

Princeton clawed its way back to take the lead with under three minutes remaining as the Quakers began to struggle once again on offense. Penn only shot 36.7 percent from the field, continuing a troubling trend that dates back to the beginning of the team’s three game losing streak.

The back-and-forth half concluded with the teams deadlocked at 27 as a basket in the final minute from Brodeur, who leads the Red and Blue with seven points, prevented the Tigers from holding the lead.

Click here for the full game recap with quotes.