pennrelays-evan-lee

Junior Evan Lee took first in the heptathlon at last weekend's Wesley A. Brown Invitational, earning the eighth-best point total in Ivy League history and securing DP Sports Player of the Break.

Penn’s winter break was filled with several impressive performances. Among these top performers was track’s Evan Lee, who won the heptathlon at the Wesley A. Brown Invitational in Annapolis, Md. this past Saturday. He was one of seven athletes between the men’s and women’s teams to win events on the day.

The junior from Indianapolis placed in the top five in all seven events and finished first in the high jump. Lee compiled a total of 5419 points en route to victory, which was 88 points higher than the score recorded by Navy sophomore Clayton Thompson, who finished second.

Credit: Alice Heyeh

Lee’s performance was one for the record books, as he was just eight points shy of tying the program record in the heptathlon. Additionally, his point total was good for eighth-best in Ivy League history in the event. He also broke his own previous personal record of 5330, which he had set during last season’s Ivy Indoor Heptagonal Championships.

Lee has continued to impress in 2019 after being named to the All-Ivy second team for the indoor heptathlon last year. He and the rest of Penn track are just over a month away from competing in this year’s Indoor Heps, and another strong showing from Lee in that competition could propel the men's team to the top of the Ancient Eight.