mbb-recap-silpe

There were clear skies during the day, but right now it’s raining in the Palestra.

After a high-scoring first half of play, Penn men’s basketball leads Miami, 50-36. The two teams combined to shoot nearly 60 percent from the field.

The story of the half on both sides of the ball was the three-point shooting. The teams combined to shoot 57.7 percent from behind the arc, leading to a blistering pace of scoring. The Quakers in particular were lethal from deep, with five different players making at least one trey for a total of 11.

Many of those looks came off of the Red and Blue’s textbook fast-paced ball movement. The Quakers were zipping the ball around the court all half, making the extra pass to find the open man. Penn finished the half with 17 assists on 19 baskets, led by four apiece from senior guards Antonio Woods and Jake Silpe.

The Quakers took an early lead on a Bryce Washington three, but for the first 10 minutes or so, they were in front by just a few points. The Hurricanes brought the score to within three with eight minutes to play in the half, but Penn started to pull away behind a barrage of threes. 

Freshman forward Michael Wang paced the Quakers during that run, with four treys in the final nine minutes en route to a game-high 14 points. Junior forward AJ Brodeur was also especially effective down low, using all of the tools in his arsenal to shake defenders and earn easy baskets. He finished the half with 10 points on 5 of 7 shooting. All told, all eight Quakers who saw the floor made at least one basket.

Full recap to follow after the conclusion of the game.