EricaHiga
Credit: Julia Schorr

Penn women’s soccer senior Erica Higa only had one shot on Saturday, but that one shot was enough to earn her this week’s DP Sports' Player of the Week.

After Penn and Dartmouth both entered overtime scoreless, Higa broke free in the 98th minute to finish a cross from fellow-senior Kristen Miller to give the Quakers a 1-0 golden goal victory

“I think it came off of like her thigh, knee, something like that, but she just came across with perfect timing as the keeper came out for it and just flicked it past her head,” coach Nicole Van Dyke said.

Credit: Alex Fisher

Penn women's soccer has much to cheer about after a nail-biting victory over Dartmouth.

Higa’s goal not only allowed the Red and Blue (4-6-3, 2-1-1) to defeat the Big Green (6-8, 0-4), but it also ended Penn’s two-game Ivy League scoreless streak. What made the goal even more impressive was that it came in Higa’s first game back after missing two matches with a concussion.

Even with the injury, Higa is still leading the Quakers in goals with three on the season, despite the fact that she's only fifth on the team in total shots. 

“She just brings a different look, because she’s very creative. Her movement off the ball is very good,” Van Dyke said. “And she combines well with different players on the team.”