tresolomon

After rushing for 127 yards and a touchdown while passing for another, junior running back Tre Solomon was named Ivy League Co-Offensive Player of the Week.

Credit: Ananya Chandra , Ananya Chandra

Another week, another standout performance by a Penn offensive player.

Junior running back Tre Solomon had the best performance of his career Saturday versus Columbia, rushing for 127 yards and a touchdown and throwing for another score. For his multidimensional excellence, he was named on Monday the Ivy League Co-Offensive Player of the week, sharing the honor with Princeton quarterback John Lovett.

Just five games into the season, Solomon has already posted a career-high 498 rushing yards. He leads the Ivy League in that category, as well as in rushing attempts (89) and yards per game (99.6). After splitting time in the backfield with senior Brian Schoenauer over the last two seasons, Solomon has emerged as the team’s primary rushing weapon in recent weeks.

But on Saturday the New York native showcased his talents on more than just the ground. With just two minutes remaining in the game, Solomon put an exclamation point on the 35-10 victory, finding senior receiver Cam Countryman on a 23-yard touchdown pass. It was the second passing attempt of Solomon’s career following a six-yard completion at Fordham earlier this season.

In recent weeks, Solomon has shown himself to be part of a lethal offensive triumvirate, along with quarterback Alek Torgersen and receiver Justin Watson. Torgersen threw for 247 yards and three scores in Saturday’s victory while Watson added 149 all-purpose yards and a touchdown catch. The talented trio has led the team to an average of 429 yards of total offense per game in Ivy play, the most in the conference.

Lovett earned his half of the award by accounting for three touchdowns (two passing, one rushing) in a 31-7 win over Brown. The quarterback managed the impressive scoring output despite accounting for fewer than 100 yards in total offense (71 passing, 21 rushing.)

Solomon will have a chance for an encore performance when the Red and Blue head to Yale on Friday night, as the Quakers look to stay perfect in Ancient Eight play.