unnamed_1

Ra Ra Riot was announced Thursday as the second act of the Spring Fling Concert.

Spring Fling is going to be a riot.

The Social Planning and Events Committee announced today that “indie-pop darlings” Ra Ra Riot have been added to the Spring Fling lineup as the second opener on April 11.

Known for their songs “Beta Love,” “I Shut Off” and “Boy,” the group is associated with a signature “indie-band with orchestral strings” sound, although their most recent album, “Beta Love” marked a shift toward a synth-pop aesthetic.

“It was our aim this year to craft a diverse lineup and to represent different genres of music that students are interested in with our openers that may not have had a place in Flings past,” SPEC Concerts Co-Director and Nursing senior Melody Chiang said .

Current band members include Wes Miles on vocals, Rebecca Zeller on violin, Mathieu Santos on bass, and Milo Bonacci on guitar. Originally established in 2006, the group came together while students at Syracuse University, where they began their stage presence by performing at houses and venues across campus.

Ra Ra Riot’s recognition developed from their early live shows, where Miles’ vocals coupled with integrated orchestral arrangements created a unique sound that caught fans’ attention. Their first two albums, “The Rhumb Line” and “The Orchard” were released in 2008 and 2010, respectively, and made waves on the alternative airways with a distinguishing “chamber pop” sound.

Ra Ra Riot appeared at South by Southwest three separate years before Magic Man appeared there last week. They have also performed throughout the United States and across the international festival circuit. Following the release of “Beta Love” last year, they accompanied The Shins and The Postal Service on a fall tour across the nation.

Fling will not be the first time Ra Ra Riot will share a stage with Magic Man, either. The two bands performed together in Maine last spring, along with electronic indie pop band The Other Bones

“Ra Ra Riot are veteran performers who will add their feel-good sound and instrumental talent to the show,” Chiang said.