On Saturday, Penn gymnastics traveled to New Haven, Conn., for its first Ivy League competition of the 2013-14 season.

What started out as a possible turning point for the Red and Blue ended up with the Quakers posting their lowest score of the season thus far.

Despite strong performances from junior Wynne Levy and freshman Rachel Graham, Penn fell to the Bulldogs, 184.350-182.800. The Quakers have yet to break 190.000 this season, a mark that usually isn’t difficult for the team to reach.

Last season, Penn failed to break 190 only twice, and both times ended with the Quakers accumulating 189.

Saturday’s dual meet began on the uneven bars where no Penn gymnast broke a 9.0. The Red and Blue’s highest scorer was junior Makeda Constable, who placed sixth on the event with an 8.975.
Vault was Penn’s highest scoring event. Levy and Graham tied for first in the event with a 9.425, helping Penn rack up 46.6 total points on the event.

Floor exercise also gave the Quakers a first-place spot. Sophomore Carissa Lim scored a 9.600.

The Red and Blue’s last event of the day was on the balance beam. Penn also had some success in this event, but only one score was in the 9.0 range. Junior Amber Woo placed second with a 9.550.

Though there were some high points, Saturday’s meet was ultimately a disappointment. The meet marked Penn’s lowest point total since the 2006-2007 season.

With much of the season still to come, the Quakers need to work on becoming more consistent and harness the young talent they have in order to contend in Ivy play down the line.

Penn gymnastics faces key Ivy test early in the season

Penn gymnastics falls in official return to Hutchinson Gymnasium

Penn gymnastics has new equipment, looking for new results

Penn gymnastics shows off at Philadelphia Jamboree