03102012_mlacrosse_v_villanova0020
Men's Lacrosse v. Villanova Credit: Andrew Dierkes , Andrew Dierkes

With the sun shining down on Franklin Field and Penn’s eight seniors knowing it’s their last home game, only good can come, and it did.

The Quakers (7-4, 3-3 Ivy) took down the Big Green in blowout fashion 11-2 on Senior Day, led by four goals from Ryan Parietti playing in his final game at home.

The game started slowly with only one goal coming in the first period. Dartmouth (3-9, 1-4) started the scoring with a tally from KC Beard while freshman Mark Leonhard was out for two minutes for an illegal body check.

But, it was in the second period that the Red and Blue (7-4 was able to step up its game. With two goals by Parietti in the first five minutes the tides shifted and the Quakers took control.

That was followed by another goal from junior midfield Zack Losco to bring the score to 3-1 at halftime. Zosco would finish with two goals and an assist.

What started in the second period was intensified in the third. Penn further extended its lead to 6-1 with goals from Losco, Leonhard, and sophomore Isaac Bock.

Along with an influx of goals was an influx of penalties at the start of the second half. Even with two for Penn and three for Dartmouth, only one goal — coming from Bock — was scored on a man up opportunity.

Once the Quakers saw they were in control, they ran with it. The fourth quarter opened with a Dartmouth goal, followed by five Penn goals, four of which were in the last five minutes of play.

Unlike most Ivy games and Coach Mike Murphy’s expectations, this was not the one or two point game the Quakers usually have. It was the confidence and sense of urgency that pushed the Red and Blue to play solid defense and connect on offense.

Parietti and Losco dominated for the Quakers against Dartmouth. Losco played his fair share with two goals and an assist.

The eight seniors for whom this was their last hurrah on Franklin Field could not have asked for a better game.

Men’s lacrosse looks to recapture old magic

New philosophy sparks Penn men’s lacrosse

Penn men’s lacrosse stumbles in overtime loss at Harvard, 8-7

Penn men’s lacrosse heads to Cambridge trying to stay in title hunt