02052013_wonamanda0010
WON closing Credit: Amanda Suarez , Amanda Suarez

There is now one fewer Chinese restaurant on campus due to the closing of Won Oriental Restaurant on Dec. 31.

Penn’s Facilities and Real Estate Services, which owns the building that housed Won, immediately began to look for another restaurant to fill the space as soon as the managers told them they wanted to close the restaurant. However, Ed Datz, executive director of Real Estate Operations at FRES, said that “a suitable restaurateur replacement could not be found.”

Won, which was located on 40th street between Walnut and Locust streets, closed after its main manager, Jay Han, fell ill and could no longer take care of the restaurant.

“My brother got sick a couple of years ago and we could no longer operate the business the way we wanted to,” Kevin Han said.

While Kevin did not work at the restaurant full time, he and his other brothers started to help out more frequently as his brother’s health worsened. Ultimately, however, they were forced to close.

“We tried to help him but it was too much for us,” Kevin said.

Kevin explained that there are no plans to reopen Won as of now, as the family is focused on Jay’s health. However, his family was still disappointed that they had to close the business.

“We are sad because we had good employees and a good environment,” he said.

Won and Penn worked together to come to an amicable termination.

“Because of a positive business relationship with the brothers, Penn was able to let them out of their lease without penalties,” Datz said.

College sophomore Susanna Lustbader said she had never been to Won before its closing.

“I don’t think it was popular with students,” she added, “so I’m looking forward to what will come into the space next.”