valeggiahc

Claudia Valeggia

Anthropology professor Claudia Valeggia was honored by President Barack Obama Sept. 26 with an award considered the highest honor for young researchers.

The Presidential Early Career Awards for Scientists and Engineers is given annually by the United States government to science and engineering professionals in the early stages of their careers.

The 94 recipients were selected based on their innovative research projects and their commitment to community service in the sciences. Their projects show promise for “assuring America’s preeminence in science and engineering,” according to a Sept. 26 White House press release.

“I was speechless,” Valeggia said, upon finding out the news. “It’s such a great honor, and it’s such a big push for my research.”

Her work— which was awarded a five-year National Science Foundation grant last year — studies the biological and cultural variables that affect the lives of Argentinian women as they transition from infancy to puberty and menopause.

Valeggia has been teaching at Penn since 2005. She is currently teaching Anthropology 104 , “Sex and Human Nature,” alongside her husband, assistant professor in Anthropology Eduardo Fernandez-Duque.

She was promoted to associate professor and received tenure last spring.

“We’re very excited about the award. It’s very well-deserved as [Valeggia] is a top scholar,” Anthropology professor and department chairman Robert Preucel said.