01172011_mlkcandlelightvigil020
Alpha Phi Alpha fraternity and sister sorority hold MLK Jr. Candlelight Vigil outside W.E.B. DuBois College House and at the Compass. Credit: Frances Hu

While many enjoyed the day off from classes on Monday, around 500 Penn students, faculty and West Philadelphia community members participated in service events to commemorate Martin Luther King Jr.’s birthday as part of Penn’s Commemorative Symposium on Social Change.

“The symposium is Penn’s commitment to the legacy of Dr. King and social change,” Robert Carter, Commemorative Symposium Executive Committee co-chair and associate director of the African-American Resource Center, said.

Monday’s day of service commenced with an annual breakfast featuring keynote speaker Bilal Qayyum, co-founder of the Father’s Day Rally Committee. Penn President Amy Gutmann also addressed volunteers before they began their service projects, which include a literacy project, campus beautification projects for surrounding high schools and a mentoring program.

The symposium runs from Jan. 17 to Feb. 4 and consists of speakers, workshops and service projects sponsored by various cultural centers and academic departments on campus. All events are free and open to the public.

According to Carter, a special theme for this year’s symposium is “the direction of our hearts,” he said.

“There have been lots of tragedy this past year … from Haiti to the apartment building that recently burned down. This year we have a focus to support people who have gone through major catastrophes,” he said.

According to Valerie Dorsey Allen, Executive Committee co-chair and director of the African-American Resource Center, one service project included giving toiletries and amenities to the victims of the recent fire at 48th and Walnut streets.

Penn has celebrated the day with special events for over 16 years, Carter said. However, the University did not cancel classes until 2001, according to University Chaplain Chaz Howard.

Wharton alumna Daina Richie, now associate director of Makuu — Penn’s black cultural center — worked with the Black Student League and former Penn President Judith Rodin to cancel classes on MLK day.

According to Howard, Rodin finally decided to cancel classes in 2001 to institute a day of service where students can participate in service projects in the community.

“Our commitment is not all about the holiday … or [King’s] legacy. It’s about the body of work that relates to social change and making things better for most of us, not just a few of us,” Carter said. “MLK is Making Life Kind.”

However, not all students observed MLK Day. College freshman CJ Gallopo said he spent his day going to the gym, attending his a capella group’s rehearsal and doing homework.

“It doesn’t relate personally to me,” he said. “But what Martin Luther King did for this country was amazing, and I thank him that my classmates from all over the world can have the same opportunities.”

Wharton junior Jeffrey Tillus, former chairman of Penn’s black student group, UMOJA stressed the importance of getting the whole Penn community — not just black students and administrators — to do service.

“This day is dedicated to us. We wouldn’t be here if it weren’t for [King],” he said. “We do have a responsibility to give back to campus and the larger community as a whole.”

The day of service concluded with a candlelight vigil hosted by the Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity that began at DuBois College House and ended at the Compass on Locust Walk.