1018sportsweekend

Photos of the football, field hockey, soccer and volleyball teams in action over the weekend of Oct. 15-17.

After struggling through 10 straight losses — including six shutouts — the Penn field hockey team is finally seeing improvement.

Despite extending its losing streak to double digits with a 2-1 loss against Delaware Friday night, the Quakers rallied on Sunday to earn their first Ivy win and just their second victory of the season, squeezing past Columbia in overtime, 3-2.

The key goal came just two minutes into the extra period. Though Penn (2-11, 1-3 Ivy) began overtime play on the defensive, senior Annie Matthews took control of a long ball and fired a shot toward the Columbia goal. The attempt was blocked, but Matthews recovered the rebound and sent a pass to senior attack Laurel McGarvie.

Wide open at the top of the circle, McGarvie seized the chance and fired a shot past Columbia goalie Christie O’Hara to seal the win for the Quakers.

The resulting celebration left a Columbia (8-5, 1-3) stunned. The Lions outshot Penn 17-7 and had 17 penalty corners stunned.

Though it was Penn who opened the game’s scoring in the 19th minute, the Lions managed a comeback in the 52nd minute. Soon after, Columbia grabbed the lead. With ten minutes left in regulation play, it looked as though Penn was headed for an 11th straight loss.

But, perhaps inspired by the presence of the 1992 and 1993 Ivy League champion squads in the stands, the Quakers stepped up their game.

With 6:11 remaining, junior Caroline Olt collected a rebound and launched a shot above O’Hara’s head to take the game into overtime.

With Penn’s first Ivy win of the season behind it, the Quakers will now try to keep their momentum when they take on St. Joe’s on Wednesday night.