10232009_sprintfootballnavy088
Sprint football takes on Navy Friday night. Penn: 4 Todd Busler Navy: Credit: Alex Ball

Hosting the Collegiate Sprint Football League’s newest member, Post, the Quakers had no film on their opponent and little idea what to expect.

“I think we were a little bit, almost scared,” senior linebacker Zak Klinvex. said. “We heard these kids were very athletic.”

But it didn’t take long for Penn’s fears to be assuaged.

The Quakers hit the Eagles with more than a few “Welcome to the League” tackles and touchdown runs en route to a 42-14 victory.

Penn (3-0) got on the board first with a six-yard dash by quarterback Todd Busler after a fumble by Post near its own endzone.

And while the Red and Blue wouldn’t look back after that, the Eagles (0-1) showed some grit, going for it on a few fourth downs and even faking a punt.

Whether those unconventional tactics could be attributed to the team’s lack of a strong kicker or not was unclear, but Post certainly competed.

“I thought they played tough,” senior running back Mike Bagnoli said. “That first quarter was kind of dicey.”

However with time, the overmatched Eagles were exposed. Bagnoli ran roughshod over the Post defense, rushing for 139 yards and two touchdowns on 21 carries (6.6 yards per rush).

“We were just better-conditioned,” Bagnoli said. “They looked tired and they looked frustrated, and we took advantage of it.”

Although it may have turned out to be a walk-over game, Penn still has some areas to work on — tightening up on mistakes and converting “the first time around” on opportunities to score, according to coach Bill Wagner.

Those improvements will have to be made relatively quickly, though, if Penn is to have any shot at taking down defending champs Navy next week, a far taller task than defeating Penn’s first two opponents, Princeton and Post.