Sir Evelyn and Lynn Forester de Rothschild gave Penn’s World Scholars Program a $1 million gift on May 18, with the intention of supporting a Penn World Scholar from a British Commonwealth country.

The first Rothschild World Scholar will be from the Class of 2014. The World Scholars Program, launched in 2008, provides financial aid to students whose education and goals will allow them to significantly impact their home countries.

Penn currently has nineteen World Scholars from the rising sophomore, junior and senior classes. The students hail from a range of nations including Latvia, Turkey, Vietnam and Egypt.

“This gift ensures that Penn continues to make a difference, by offering the very best education to all students with the potential to change the world,” said Penn President Amy Gutmann.

The de Rothschilds also recently created an undergraduate scholarship fund at Cambridge University, in honor of India’s Prime Minister, Manmohan Singh.

Mrs. de Rothschild, a former corporate lawyer and telecommunications entrepreneur and her husband, retired chairman of investment bank N.M. Rothschild & Sons, now serve as CEO and chair of a holding company for their investments, focusing on India.