03272010_baseballlafayette030
Baseball vs Lafayette - Dan Williams Credit: Dan Getelman

After a disappointing weekend on the road, the Quakers are setfor a turnaround when they host La Salle tomorrow at Meiklejohn Stadium at 3 p.m.

The Red and Blue (13-14, 4-4 Ivy) have cooled off as of late, having dropped three of their four games last weekend. They hope to bounce back over their four-game homestretch, during which they will face Ivy League foe Cornell twice.

The Quakers have struggled to keep runs off the board in recent games, surrendering an average 8.8 runs over their last five contests. If the team can’t get it together from the rubber, added pressure will be put on top hitters Dan Williams and Tom Grandieri to catalyze the offense.

After the 1-3 weekend, Penn sits two games back of Columbia in the Gehrig Division, which includes Columbia, Princeton and Cornell.

La Salle, on the other hand has been on the upswing, having won three of their last four. More impressively, two of those wins came against Xavier, the reigning Atlantic 10 tournament champion.

The Explorers (11-18) are led by sophomore utility man Brendan Norton as well as senior shortstop Brian Meagher. Norton leads the squad in hits (45) and steals (8), while Meagher packs the power with the most home runs (4) and runs batted in (24).

La Salle employs a three-man pitching rotation, however not one of the three — nor any other Explorer hurler — has an earned run average below 5.40. Seven of the team’s nine relievers boast double-digit ERAs. However, these stats might be deceiving, since La Salle plays a higher caliber of opponents in the A-10 than Penn does in the Ivies.

Since the starting rotations are less predictable for weekday games, the projected starters are unclear.