04192009_mlax_vmaryland062_copy
Sophomore John Conneely led the Penn offense against Maryland last night, netting a team-high three points Credit: Alvin Loke

Mike Murphy is no stranger to the Maryland lacrosse team.

The former Duke defenseman has had many opportunities to face off against the Terrapins, but yesterday was his first as head coach of the Red and Blue. But he will likely have to wait until next year to earn his first win.

During a cloudy afternoon showdown in College Park, Md., No. 10 Maryland (5-0) shut down the Quakers late in the fourth quarter and pulled away with a 10-7 victory.

Going up against the undefeated Atlantic Coast Conference powerhouse, Penn (4-3) wanted to avoid a repeat of last year when they were steamrolled on their home turf, 9-2.

But it’s a different season, and it was a different story.

Though Murphy’s squad trailed the whole game, Penn was always within three goals and was down by just one well into the fourth quarter.

It was then that the Terps clamped down defensively, holding the Quakers scoreless for the final 10:42, while adding two goals of their own to seal the victory.

“We just never made that play … to tie the game and go ahead, and I thought we were,” Murphy said. “We had the momentum, we had the energy, we were playing pretty well. Then we just couldn’t quite get over that hump.”

Draw-control specialist Justin Lynch, whose dependability has been tested by tough competition all year, won 10 of 21 face-offs.

The senior, who has taken all but 16 of his team’s face-offs, has come away with the ball at a 55 percent clip.

“I’m just [trying] to … get the ball, bring it to our offense and let them do their job,” Lynch said.

“They’ve been doing a great job this year so the more opportunities that I can get them off of face-offs, the more successful we’ll be.”

While Lynch gave Penn sufficient opportunities for possession, the difference in the game came down to ball control in the open field.

By halftime, the Quakers had given up 12 turnovers to the Terps’ six. The Red and Blue finished with 21 overall.

In addition to committing far fewer turnovers, the Terps were able to create more scoring opportunities by picking up 45 ground balls compared to the Quakers’ 30.

Maryland outshot Penn, 33-20, behind another impressive outing from Grant Catalino.

Catalino, a pre-season All-American honorable mention, finished with two goals and four assists.

Though Catalino was the clear difference maker for the Terps, offensive production for the Quakers was more spread out. Six different players scored goals, led by senior Rob McMullen, who had two.

After a tough nonconference schedule that included three nationally ranked opponents, the Quakers now have the opportunity to prove themselves in Ivy League play.

The Red and Blue face No. 4 Princeton Saturday and No. 7 Cornell — last year’s NCAA runner-up — the following week.

“I’m not sure our team is aware of how good we can be,” Murphy said. “We just need to execute better in those key moments.”