You might not have gotten the number of that “librarian” on Halloween, but now, thanks to Penn Libraries’ new text-messaging service, you can text a real librarian every day of the week except Saturday.

Launched Oct. 1, the texting service is intended to complement Penn Libraries’ existing chat and instant-message services, according to Marjorie Hassen, director of public services for the library system.

Hassen said the service is part of the system’s attempt to provide a variety of means of communication between students and librarians, since “people work in different ways.”

For example, a student without his or her computer could ask a question of a librarian via text message, said Charles Cobine, coordinator of digital outreach services for the library system.

Since its inception, librarians have gotten a total of 34 text messages through the system as of last Friday, according to Cobine — which averages out to approximately one message per day.

But Hassen and Cobine weren’t fazed by the program’s slow start.

“Frankly, we’re getting more than I thought we would at the start,” Hassen said.

Cobine added that the service’s existence still needed to become known to students, both through word of mouth and librarians’ presentations to classes.

“We don’t know how people are going to use it,” Cobine said. Though most of the questions received via text message thus far have been relatively simple, he said, some have been “intense” research questions.

Penn Libraries originally launched its chat service in 2001 and added instant messaging in 2005, according to Hassen, who said similar services have become “standard practice” in college libraries across the country over the past few years.

Cobine said the chat and IM services have seen a steady increase in traffic since their launch.

Nearly 40 librarians from across campus monitor the combined chat, IM and text message system from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Friday and 6 p.m. to 11 p.m. on Sunday, Hassen said.

She added that the service has increased its hours in response to student demand, including creating a 6 to 9 p.m. shift last year.

“Students are not working a nine-to-five schedule,” Hassen said.

College freshman Jessica Chung said she has heard of the text messaging service but has yet to use it — though she said she might if she needs help writing a research paper for her writing seminar.

To send a text message to a librarian, send “upennlib” and a question to 66746.