09262009_skquizzo011
Sigma Kappa held their Quizzo event this past weekend. The event raised money to support Alzheimer's research. Credit: Linda Li

It may not have been Blarney’s or Local 44, but the winners at Sigma Kappa’s Ultra-Violet Quizzo Saturday night enjoyed bigger prizes.

The sisters of Sigma Kappa hosted their first philanthropic event of the semester Saturday in Houston Hall. The event was part of Sigma Kappa’s national Ultra-Violet Campaign.

The Ultra-Violet Quizzo consisted of 20 teams of 10 players competing in rounds of trivia questions. In between the rounds of questions, the teams were entertained with performances by Penn’s performing arts groups Penn Six, Mask and Wig, Off the Beat and the Excelano Project.

Lucy Obukowicz, Sigma Kappa president and Wharton senior, said each Sigma Kappa chapter has the freedom to choose what kind of event to hold as part of the Ultra-Violet Campaign.

She said the sisters decided to hold a Ultra-Violet Quizzo because “quizzo is very unique to Penn.” The event’s planners then went to work soliciting donations from local businesses.

The first place prize was the largest that a Penn student-group has ever given away, according to Panhellenic Council President Alissa Eisenberg, a College senior and former Daily Pennsylvanian editor.

It included a spring break trip from Student City, a night at the Four Seasons Hotel in Philadelphia, a $200 gift certificate to the Four Seasons Spa, a free semester of Chipotle, two nights at the Inn at the Canal Bed and Breakfast in Maryland, a Kaplan test-prep course, and $300 in cash.

The second place prize was a signed copy of Freakonomics by Steven Levitt, a signed copy of The Bad Beginning by Lemony Snicket, free games from EA games and free games and movies from Target.

The third place prize consisted of gift certificates to a number of University City restaurants.

Raffle prizes were also awarded.

The first place prize was awarded to a team representing the Sigma Nu fraternity.

According to Obukowicz, most of the teams were composed of players representing Greek organizations.

“It was great to get so much support from our own Greek community,” she added.

The money raised at the event benefits Alzheimer’s Disease Research and the Sigma Kappa Foundation. The event raised over $5,000, which is more than what was raised at last year’s Sigma Kappa philanthropic event.

Additionally, Obukowicz said that 10 potential teams had to be turned away due to space constraints.

“Overall, the event was really fun and a big success,” she added.