4do4lku2
Senior Craig Andrzejewski will look to improve on his team-high 21 goals and 28 points in his final game for the Quakers.

Entering its final game of the season, the recently slumping men's lacrosse team has no prospects of an Ivy League championship or even a winning record.

But will their unfavorable circumstances prevent the Quakers (4-8, 2-4 Ivy) from pulling together one last all-out effort in Saturday's season finale against Army in West Point, N.Y.?

Not if coach Brian Voelker has anything to say about it.

"Although we don't have a lot to play for, our guys will scratch and claw our way to victory," Voelker said. "I know we will do whatever it takes to pull out a win."

Penn will face an Army opponent that has endured a similar roller-coaster season, once losing four-straight games, including two in double overtime. Although the streaky Black Knights (6-9) are known for their hustle and physical style of play, those traits haven't translated into victories.

"Army is a very solid team," Voelker said. "Although they have had an up-and- down year, they played some good teams. Like us, they have pulled out some tough wins and suffered disappointing losses."

In addition to a strong work ethic, Army features several skilled players that the Quakers will have to contain if they hope to come out on top. Last week four Black Knights earned Patriot League All-Conference honors. Among the honorees was a pair of talented seniors - midfield Kevin Lo Russo and attack Jason Peyer - who will spearhead the Army offense.

"Like any service academy, Army works extremely hard," Voelker said. "They have a talented goalie, and will swarm on ground balls."

The Quakers will counter Tom Palesky, the Black Knights' skilled sophomore goalie, with a solid attack of their own. In Sunday's victory over Towson, the offense produced five unanswered goals in the fourth quarter - three of which came from senior Craig Andrzejewski.

"The team that shows up to play will win," Voelker said. "We have been giving teams some problems on the offensive end. We expect our normal guys, Craig and Corey [Winkoff], to produce."

Last season, Penn rebounded from four-straight losses to upset a talented Army squad that was ranked No. 18 in the country in the season finale. This time around, the Quakers have momentum from the victory over Towson while the Black Knights have suffered back-to-back losses to Bucknell and Duke.

Despite the lack of championship implications, there is no shortage of motivation for either team. While a victory for Army on its own turf would serve as a positive ending to an otherwise disappointing season, Penn has a more specific goal.

"We are going to give the seniors a win in the last game of their college career, and that's it," Voelker said.