y7110x0a
Junior hurler Todd Roth, Penn's ace in 2007 and 2008, isn't finding such success in 2009. He has surrendered 68 hits in 41 innings.

Two seasons ago, Todd Roth burst onto the Ivy League baseball scene and instantly became a standout pitcher. He was a Louisville Slugger Freshman All-American, the Ivy League and Big Five Rookie of the Year and a member of the All-Ivy and All-Big 5 teams.

A year ago, as a sophomore, Roth was named one of the Quakers' captains and put up similar numbers to his freshman campaign.

However, this season, Roth is having trouble even coming close to the effectiveness and success he enjoyed in 2007 and 2008. The junior has an earned run average of 8.34 - second worst on the team this season - and batters are hitting an average of .368 (third-highest on the roster) against him.

Roth's ERAs in 2007 and 2008 were 1.98 and 2.32, respectively.

So, why is Todd Roth struggling this season, and what can he do to turn it around?

Coach John Cole partially attributes Roth's performance this season to a loss of movement in his fastball.

"Todd is a groundball guy," Cole said. "Unfortunately, a lot of his pitches have stayed up in the zone, and the ball has been hit hard, some for home runs."

In addition, Roth and Cole both agree that the Lanoka Harbor, N.J., native has grappled with control issues, surrendering a few too many free passes to opposing hitters.

"Probably the biggest difference this year is that my walks have been up," Roth said. "When your walks are up, it's going to hurt you; it's a baseball fact."

Quakers catcher Jeff Cellucci has been catching Roth since the 2007 season. The backstop thinks that Roth will be able to turn things around.

"I don't think Todd's demeanor or confidence has changed at all," Cellucci said.

"I think it's just been a tough season all around for everyone; we, as a team, haven't been helping Todd this season," the catcher continued, referring to Penn's 11-19 record - and lone Ivy win in 12 conference games.

Cellucci did recognize, though, that Roth's movement on the fastball is not what it was two years ago. Nevertheless, Cellucci remains confident in his fellow captain.

"Every time Todd steps on the mound, I'm sure that we have a chance to win every game," Cellucci said. "He has a lot of confidence in himself, and I don't see any reason why he won't be able to bounce back."

Despite his disappointing results this season, Roth still feels he has progressed as a pitcher.

"My slider has been the best it's ever been, and my changeup has been good, too," Roth said. "I think using those two pitches a little more often will definitely help me going forward."

Cole also commented on Roth's work ethic and stated that his ace's routine has not changed.

Because of this, Cole and the rest of the Quakers are sure that the results will eventually come for Roth in 2009.

"He's a great competitor," Cole said. "Todd will keep working at it until he finds it."

Related StoriesBaseball | Looking to thrive in the '215' - SportsBaseball | McNulty gem glitters above all - Sports