w9680q80
SEPTA will receive funds from the stimulus package to update its facilities.

As part of the economic-stimulus bill passed last month, SEPTA will receive federal funding for up-to-date facilities.

About $5.2 million of the total $191 million dollars in stimulus funds SEPTA received will be used to improve problems and delays on its subway-surface routes.

These routes carry about 90,000 passengers each day.

The funds "will be used to improve communications and signaling through the 40th Street Portal in West Philadelphia," SEPTA spokesman Gary Fairfax wrote in an e-mail.

According to Fairfax, the rest of the stimulus funds have been directed towards 27 "shovel-ready" projects.

"Those projects have their own unique needs," Fairfax said. "Renovations are needed because some facilities are really old."

The stimulus package will also be used for station and equipment renovation, and provide for the purchase of 40 additional new hybrid buses.

He added that more improvements have also been planned for SEPTA Route 101 Media and Route 102 Sharon Hill trolley lines.

The City of Philadelphia welcomes the investment.

"This investment is good news because SEPTA services - bus, subway, trolley and regional rail - are critical to the success of the City of Philadelphia and the region," wrote Luke Butler, deputy press secretary to the Mayor, in an e-mail.

The funds came from President Barack Obama's stimulus bill, which allows for $8.4 billion to be used for mass-transit projects nationwide.

"These formula dollars will be invested in city transit and regional rail, critical maintenance of our regional assets," Butler added.

Fairfax said the entire renovation will launch this spring and will take no more than two years to complete.

He added that SEPTA's projects are expected to create about 5,600 jobs in the area.