83gv2m6m
Penn's Jamie Boccanfuso makes contact during Penn's double-header loss to Monmouth Saturday afternoon. Credit: Jake Werlin

It may not be obvious - or it may even seem doubtful thanks to its 1-10-1 record in its last 12 games - but things may be looking up for Penn softball. Although their record doesn't indicate it, the Quakers have been showing steady improvement - and the time may be right for their slump to end.

Penn (4-14-1) will open the Ivy League season this weekend when Dartmouth (6-10) and Harvard (9-5) travel to Warren field for back-to-back doubleheaders.

"We have been getting better ever since our spring break trip to Florida," junior Keiko Uraguchi said. "We are definitely entering our games against Dartmouth and Harvard with confidence."

Against Monmouth last weekend, the Quakers demonstrated their pitching potential. Although they were shut out by the Hawks, they relinquished only one run in each contest.

However, the Red and Blue turned around offensively to score 10 runs over two games in a loss and a tie to Lehigh Wednesday. This time it was their defense that did them in.

Penn will need all aspects of their game to be on point if it hopes to be successful this weekend.

"Lehigh was good preparation," senior outfielder Anna Puglisi said. "Our bats finally came around and we scored seven runs in the first game. Last weekend we played extremely well on defense. If we can put both together, we should be in good shape."

Dartmouth comes to Philadelphia Saturday for Penn's Ivy League opener. After a West Coast stint in which they won just two of eight games, the Big Green will be looking for a fresh start when they take the field this weekend.

Dartmouth's offense is anchored by a pair of junior infielders - first baseman Alyssa Parker leads the team with 14 hits and second baseman Kirsten Costello boasts a .314 batting average.

The bigger challenge will come from Harvard. The Crimson, along with Cornell, are the only teams in the Ivy League with winning records.

If Penn's offense finds itself in a dry spell, it will get no help from Harvard freshman pitcher Rachel Brown, who is the reigning Ivy League Rookie of the Week. In eight starts this season, Brown has compiled a 7-1 record, boasts a 1.18 earned run average, and she struck out 89 batters over 59.1 innings.

Last season, the Quakers picked up two victories over Dartmouth in Hanover, N.H., before dropping both games to Harvard in Boston. Sophomore Alicia Prystowski compiled five hits, six runs and five runs batted in over the course of the four games in New England.

The Quakers are hoping that this year, on their home field, the start of the conference season will be their much-needed turning point.

"The Ivy League portion of our schedule is what really counts," said freshman shortstop Jamie Boccanfuso, who will get her first taste of Ancient Eight play this weekend. "We are well prepared, and we know we have what it takes to win."