0xi471s7
Members of Phi Sigma Sigma sorority celebrate on bid night.

It's all in the numbers for Greek recruitment this year - and the numbers are looking good.

The 2009 recruitment season attracted students in larger numbers than last year, in spite of concerns that, amid the economic crisis, the dues fraternity and sorority members must pay might deter students from rushing.

This year, 328 students received bids from Penn sororities, according to Stacy Kraus, the Office of Fraternity and Sorority Affairs associate director for programming. This number represents a 19-percent increase over last year's total.

She added that bids have increased across the nation. "The Panhellenic board did a wonderful job this year," she said. "They were able to do really well reaching out to freshmen, and addressing concerns about finances and the rushing process."

Scott Reikofski, director of OFSA, reported that 555 students were offered bids by registered fraternities, a number slightly higher than last year's.

Of these students, 388, or about 70 percent, have accepted their bids so far, as opposed to roughly 400 in 2008.

This comes to an average of about 13 new pledges per chapter, according to Shawn Woodhull, a Wharton junior who was recently appointed Interfraternity Council president.

Reikofski said the increase in bids in both fraternities and sororities may be even more impressive, given the depressed economic conditions.

"The reasons [for changing recruitment numbers] can be both subtle and not so subtle," he said. "While some chapters may charge more than others, finances were apparently a concern for some."

Dave Weinreb, rush chair of Sigma Nu, reported seeing as many as 200 students at the house each night during open rush. "It was really busy," he said.

There were about 600 men rushing registered fraternities, including those who were "there for the food," according to Reikofski. Although specific numbers are not available, he estimated that several dozen attended recruitment events and open houses but did not follow though for bids.

Woodhull said this year's strong showing was due to, among other things, good promotion during Greek Week and a national trend of increased Greek participation.

"More freshmen are interested in Greek life this year," he said. "People got a good impression, [during Greek Week] and so we're looking forward to a solid year."

Information about the number of minority students accepted into fraternities was not available.

According to Reikofski, this is because of the University's integration policies.

New member education for fraternities and sororities began after last week's bid nights. It will continue for the next eight to nine weeks until the recruits are initiated.