688k065s
Women's v Williams Kristen Lange (P) d. Toby Eyre Credit: Andrew Gardner

Junior squash player Kristen Lange won her first two games, 9-3, 9-0, against Williams' number one player, Toby Eyre, but when it came down to game three, she felt herself lose some control over the match this past Saturday.

"I got really anxious and started trying to end the points really quickly," Lange said. "I started hitting more [of the tin at the bottom of the back wall], and so the ball would be dead. I just kept kind of nicking the top of it."

At one point, Lange was even down 6-1. But she regained her focus and came back to win the last game, 9-7, and finish the match, 3-0.

"I kind of just steadied myself and said 'You know what, you need to play these long points, and that's how you're going to win this match,'" Lange said. "So I started lifting the ball again, hitting it deep, getting her back in the corners and then going for the shot when it was appropriate rather than just going for it whenever I wanted to."

That same focus helped No. 2 Penn beat No. 9 Williams decisively, 8-1, at Ringe Courts to continue its undefeated season. In their eight wins, not one Penn player lost a game, and senior captain Emily Goodwin only gave up one point all day.

"That's what I expect from my captains and my seniors," coach Jack Wyant said.

Another player who stepped up this past weekend was junior Sydney Scott, who played at No. 2 for Penn. She defeated Williams' Jennifer Coxe in straight games, 9-5, 9-1, 9-2.

"Their No. 2 was a very strong player and strong competitor. I think that Sydney really took her apart," Wyant said. "Sydney is a very athletic player. What she does extremely well is she uses her physical strength, her quickness and her agility to pressure her opponents."

Wyant also said Scott does a good job "suffocating" her rival.

"If you're used to playing squash where you hit the ball every second and a half, against Sydney you have to hit the ball every second and a quarter," Wyant said. "You're going to go in to oxygen deficit that much quicker because you don't have as much time as you normally do."

In addition to physical ability, the Red and Blue also displayed a great deal of concentration and mental toughness Saturday.

"Just seeing the scores it seemed like everyone was really focused," Lange said. "Mentally we're getting stronger. This past weekend showed we're able to go out against anyone and play our best."

Though Penn outclassed yet another opponent in talent level, Wyant said what makes his team so special is its extraordinary work ethic.

"I just plan the practices and work with them on an individual basis and roll out the balls," Wyant said. "They take care of the rest."

The women were also scheduled to play Amherst this past weekend, but a miscommunication between coaches occurred. The Amherst team was actually scheduled to play in the Yale Invitational the same day. Therefore, the Quakers were free to commit all their energy to beating the Ephs.