5wbqslco
Freshman Sara Coenen sets a new Sheerr Pool record for the 100-yard backstroke. The Penn swimming teams defeated Dartmouth but lost to Yale at the meet last Saturday. Credit: PAULINE BANIQUED

Welcome back Naomi Delphin.

After missing the start of the season with back troubles, the talented sophomore returns to action this weekend. With one quarter of the Penn women's swimming team out with injuries, her return could not be more timely.

The Quakers will clash with some of the nation's top talent at the Kenyon Invitational in Gambier, Ohio, which will take place today through Saturday.

Penn's opponents will include Kenyon College, No. 1 in Division III, and Kansas, who was ranked as high as No. 23 earlier this year.

"Naomi is back and ready to swim in her first meet this year," said coach Mike Schnur. "She's swimming fine in practice. Hopefully her back will be OK to dive in and she will be healthy enough to swim the whole weekend. It will be good to have her back."

The Rockport, Mass., native is one of the Quakers' top swimmers in the butterfly and freestyle events. Last year, she posted her top times in the 200-yard fly (2:03.87) and 500-yard free (4:53.99).

Just like their coach, Delphin's teammates are anticipating her return.

"Naomi will give us a great moral boost," said junior freestyler Andrea Balint. "She is such a great leader . I'm sure she will go very fast this weekend."

Despite Delphin's return, Schnur acknowledged the Quakers' lack of depth. Five key swimmers are out with injuries, including two star juniors - backstroker Sara Coenen and butterfly specialist Ainsley Cookingham.

Penn will not have a shot at any team awards, but their talented freshman and sophomore classes will have the chance to claim individual accolades.

"We are looking for individual achievement," he said. "Kenyon will throw 35 or 40 women in the meet. We only have 22 women going."

Freshman Laura Klick will be counted on to compete with the talented breaststrokers from Kansas and Kenyon. The Mandeville, La., native placed second in the 100-yard breaststroke (1:05.57) at the Princeton Tri-Meet earlier this season.

"Laura Klick stands out every week," said Schnur. "This meet is another opportunity for Laura to compete against some very good women breaststrokers."

Despite the stiff competition, Schnur remains optimistic.

"We'll do fine," he said. "We will go out and compete real hard."

Related StoriesM. Swimming | A Kenyon or Penn win a Schnur thing - Sports