32966niz
Junior Sara Coenen is part of an extremely stellar junior class that will lead the Quakers this season. As a member of the Quakers' 4x400m team at the Ivies last year, she helped shatter the school record.

Last Thursday was all about the power hour for the women's swim team.

The Quakers were one of 88 teams to participate in the "Hour of Power," a 60-minute relay to benefit sarcoma research. The fundraiser's motto - "leave it all in the pool" - set the tone for the upcoming fall campaign.

In 2007-08, the Quakers (6-6, 2-6 Ivy) surprised even themselves with their late-season record setting. After entering last fall uneasily, with concerns about gaps in their lineup, the Red and Blue struggled in conference competition, ultimately finishing fifth. But in March, they walked away from the Ivy Championships having broken seven school records.

Yet coach Mike Schnur noted that one season doesn't necessarily impact the next. Despite their strong finish last year, both Schnur and his swimmers realize that an Ivy League title is once again out of reach.

"Princeton and Harvard are steps above all the other teams in our league," Schnur said.

The Tigers and Crimson are ranked No. 1 and No. 2, respectively, among Division I Mid-Major schools. Princeton, the three-time defending Ivy League champion, sent eight women to the 2008 NCAA Championship meet. That included sophomore Alicia Aemisegger, who earned top-10 finishes in the 1650-meter free (eighth), the 500 (fourth) free and the 400 IM (fourth).

Bearing the competition in mind, the Quakers will turn their focus to the battle between themselves, Columbia and Yale for third place.

Schnur hopes to ride the success of his junior class to success. Four of them - Amy Reams, Lauren Brandes, Andrea Balint and Sara Coenen - shattered the school 4x400 freestyle mark at Ivies, clocking in at 3:26:20.

And with nine juniors on the roster, leadership shouldn't be in short supply. The swimmers have diverse abilities, and can easily be placed into competitive relay teams.

"They are a class of women that we rely very heavily on," Schnur said, "If they swim well, we are better for it."

In addition, Schnur will be looking to his freshman class to fill some of the gaps from the four graduated seniors. They have begun to build their aerobic foundation this fall, hoping to peak the last week in February, just in time for championship meets.

The Quakers open their season next Sunday against fellow third-place contender Columbia. With strong junior leadership, a promising freshman class and the Hour of Power under their belt, they're ready to start leaving it all in the pool.