jz6685b3
Police chief Charles Ramsey speaks at an event sponsored by Fox Leadership Friday afternoon. Credit: Rachel Baye

After managing the volatile atmosphere surrounding the 2005 presidential inauguration and managing the police response to 9/11 in the nation's capital, Philadelphia Police Commissioner Charles Ramsey had advice to share with students in College Hall last Friday.

''You're all planning your futures, but I'm here to tell you things won't work out how you think they will," said Ramsey.

Brought to Penn by the Fox Leadership Program, Ramsey was quick to emphasize the role of education in preparing students to deal with future obstacles.

"Do not underestimate how important what you're doing here is," he said. "You're in a great position."

Ramsey outlined his career, from beginning as an 18 year-old cadet in his native Chicago to leaving for Washington D.C., in 1998 to take over as chief of the Metropolitan Police Department.

After retiring in 2006, Ramsey worked for a year as a consultant for the U.S. government, traveling to Iraq with a team of police professionals to assess the Iraqi police force before being persuaded to return to law enforcement by Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter.

Discussing the particular law enforcement environment in Philadelphia, Ramsey emphasized the link between poverty and crime.

In particular, he stressed that law enforcement's biggest challenge was to open up increased lines of communication with the city's most vulnerable inhabitants.

But he acknowledged that this was no easy task and noted it is often the police themselves who are at fault for their strained relationship with some members of the community.

"Law enforcement in this country carries a lot of baggage," he admitted.

Ramsey's final message was to encourage Penn students to follow a career path they are dedicated to.

''Whatever you do, be passionate about it," he urged.

The audience seemed to respond well both to his career advice and the vivid picture he painted of his 40 years in law enforcement.

"I appreciated the insight into the collaborative role that public safety has in society," College freshman Haywood Perry III remarked.