p5m66a8u
Sophomore midfielder/forward Loukas Tasigianis has two goals for the Quakers, who hope to claim the Ivy League title on Saturday.

Thirty-seven years ago, Disney World had just opened and Richard Nixon's approval ratings were over 50 percent.

But 1971 was also the last time that the Penn men's soccer team hosted an all-or-nothing game for the Ivy League title.

Fast forward: Coach Rudy Fuller and the Quakers (10-2-4, 4-1-1 Ivy) are trying to win the program's first conference title since 2002 this Saturday at 7:30 p.m. when Harvard (11-4-0, 5-1-0) rolls into town.

How does this year's team feel about trying to resurrect the glory of Penn soccer's golden years?

"As coaches and players, we feel responsibility to uphold the tradition," Fuller said.

"We actually talk about that a lot. . You're given, as a coach and player, a window of time to affect this program."

Senior midfielder Kevin Unger didn't sense the same responsibility.

"I actually didn't know that [it has been 37 years]," Unger said. "So I guess I didn't feel the pressure until now."

What happens if...? If the Quakers win on Saturday, they would capture the Ivy League title outright, assuming Dartmouth loses to Brown. They would share the title if the Big Green win.

The Red and Blue would receive the conference's automatic bid to the NCAA Tournament in both scenarios, given its head-to-head win in Hanover, N.H.

If the Quakers tie Harvard and Dartmouth beats Brown, the Crimson and Big Green would be co-champions, with the auto-bid going to Dartmouth for its win over Harvard.

If the Quakers tie but Dartmouth loses or ties, Harvard would be outright champion.

And if Penn loses, well, you can ship the trophy and the tourney bid to Cambridge.

The Quakers likely need this win for a chance at the tournament. An at-large bid isn't out of the question, but it's certainly improbable, even with Penn's No. 28 CollegeSoccerNews.com ranking.

The Red and Blue are currently No. 39 in the RPI; 48 teams make the NCAA Tournament.

A Wild Ride. Everyone knows the cliché about a team's seniors: last home game, and without a win, it's their last collegiate match.

"It's perfect," Unger said. "That's a dream come true for me. . This is probably the most important game we'll ever play."

The freshmen, meanwhile, aren't surprised about the possibility of an Ivy title in their first season.

"Of course I was expecting it," defender Jake Levin said. "That's why I came to Penn."

Levin has started every game for the Quakers, tallying two goals and one assist for five points, good for fifth on the team.

Maybe that experience, playing on a back line that has produced 10 shutouts (tying a Penn single-season record), is where he got his cavalier attitude.

But he's not alone.

"We're not thinking about losing," Unger said. "Interview me on Monday after we win."

Related StoriesM. Soccer | Knocked down but not out - Sports