Junior Kate Kosminskaya had never played doubles with Alexa Ely. But the No. 2-seeded duo made the most of their competitive debut, winning the Cissie Leary Tournament when Yale's top team withdrew.

Kosminskaya and Ely knocked off the Bulldogs' second-best tandem, Stevi Petrelli and Vicky Brook, in Saturday's semifinals, 8-5.

"We worked every point and they played well - we had to be focused," said Kosminskaya, who partnered with then-senior Julia Koulbitskaya to win this event last year.

One day later, the Quakers found out that Yale sophomore Lindsay Clark was going to withdraw from the doubles finals due to injury. Partner Janet Kim went on to win the main singles draw.

"It is unfortunate that Kate and Alexa were not able to play a very good Yale team today, but reaching the finals and winning two matches was a good start to the season," Penn coach Mike Dowd said. "Hopefully, we can build on that."

Kosminsakaya would've faced Kim in the singles final had she beaten Yale's Jessica Rhee in the semis, but instead, Penn's top player withdrew because of dehydration and illness.

Nonetheless, Dowd liked what he saw overall.

"Kate has a lot of experience in doubles and singles, and Alexa is playing some great tennis," Dowd said.

"Kate has been to the NCAA tournament the past two years - she's a force to be reckoned with."

Senior captain Laura Sadaka was ousted by Kim in the quarterfinals, and junior Maria Anismova fell in the opening round to Temple's Elyse Steiner.

http://media.www.dailypennsylvanian.com/media/storage/paper882/news/2008/09/15/Sports/W.Tennis.Kills.Two.Birds.But.Not.Tigers-3430792.shtml