650l58ht

Lafayette's last-second 8-7 victory over Penn last year, which was as ugly as it was close, showed that the Leopards are not the flashiest of football teams. They play a slow-paced game, and their big, bruising offensive line is crucial in their run-first, run-second scheme.

But despite that lack of pizzazz, the Quakers never overlook their cross-state rivals.

"In their own right, they cause you enough headaches," Penn coach Al Bagnoli said.

So with only one game under its belt - an overtime loss to up-tempo Villanova, Lafayette's polar opposite - Penn might seem woefully unprepared for Saturday's contest in Easton, Pa.

Think again.

"It's funny, because their offense is very similar to our offense," Penn senior cornerback and co-captain Tyson Maugle said. "I guess the common theory right now is that we've practiced against it the last year or so."

Lafayette's rush-heavy attack is predicated on the success of senior running back Maurice White, who, after missing the bulk of last season with an ankle injury, has thrived in the Leopards' blowout victories over Marist and Georgetown .

Behind co-captain fullback Joe Russo - an all-Patriot League selection - and an offensive line that weighs an average of 304 pounds, White has scored a pair of touchdowns and averaged 159 yards on the ground.

When the Leopards go to the air, however, they will look to junior quarterback Rob Curley, who has been solid since taking over the starting job at the end of last season.

Since last October, Curley has completed 62.1 percent of his throws, including eight touchdown passes and just four interceptions. And in his six games as a starter, Curley has found the end zone five times on the ground.

But Lafayette's true strengths lie on the other side of the ball. The Leopards finished No. 1 in the nation last season in total defense, giving up a mere 260.9 yards per game.

Behind outside linebacker and senior co-captain Andy Romans, last year's Patriot League Defensive Player of the Year, they have parlayed that dominance into a strong start this season. The Leopards lead Division I-AA in scoring defense (6.0 points per game against) and are third in total defense (185.5 yards per game).

"In recent years now we've become a pretty aggressive group," Lafayette coach Frank Tavani said. "Our linebacking corps is very strong. Andy Romans is probably as good as any linebacker we've had in the history of the program."

Romans was one of just 16 players in I-AA named to the watchlist for the Buck Buchanan Award, given to the nation's top defensive player. Although he is undersized for his position at 5-foot-11, 185 pounds, last time out he wreaked havoc on the Quakers' offense in what Bagnoli called the team's "poorest offensive game [of 2007] . ugly, ugly offensive football."

This year, however, quarterback Robert Irvin appears to be fully recovered from surgery and fully capable under center. And running backs Bradford Blackmon and Michael DiMaggio seem to be a solid one-two punch out of the backfield.

Now it's just a matter of getting that first victory.

"The focus this week has just really been on trying to turn the page," Maugle said, "and get a win under our belt."

Related StoriesLaFayette Opponent Spotlight | Bros butt heads again tomorrow - SportsFootball Notebook | McNally maps course as safety - Sports