1k88578u
Freshman Jake Levin (2) has been a key part of Penn's stellar defense this season. The Quakers are the only Division-I team to not allow a goal this season, with their '08 shutout streak at 680 minutes. Credit: Felipe Matsunaga

It's been a while -- three weeks and seven games, to be precise - since the Penn field hockey team last picked up a win.

But after the Quakers' strong start in Wednesday's 2-1 loss to Villanova, they feel another victory could finally be heading their way as they host Harvard (2-4, 1-0 Ivy League) at Franklin Field tomorrow.

"I think we're so close to getting our second win," senior co-captain Margaretha Ehret said. "We're all just really hungry to get that second win, and we think that [tomorrow] can be a great opportunity for that."

It won't be easy. In the past 11 meetings between the Red and Blue and the Crimson, the Quakers have walked away victorious only once.

Harvard took last year's matchup, 3-1, in what senior co-captain Meredith Moran called an "ugly, ugly game." The Crimson fired 10 shots on goal, twice as many as Penn.

Senior goalkeeper Alanna Butera feels the defense is better prepared this time around.

"I have faith in my defense that the shots they are going to allow are going to come directly to me, making it easy for me," Butera said.

"But I'm going to be there ready to play and be aggressive."

Penn coach Val Cloud watched tape of the Crimson, who are 0-3 on the road, and said that they are very similar to the Quakers. Both teams are characterized by solid all-around play.

Senior Tami Jafar leads Harvard with two goals; five others have found the back of the net once.

Meanwhile, six Quakers have scored this season.

"You have to play well together in order to do well," Cloud said.

But Penn has struggled with some elements of playing together. Various players talked about improving the transition game and connecting on passes.

And, of course, there's the problem of putting one past the keeper - the Quakers are averaging just 1.25 goals per game.

"We've had lots of attacks that never really ended in a shot or a finish," Cloud said.

"But at least we got there and had those opportunities. Now we just need to get there and finish the play."

Related StoriesW. Soccer | A crash course in effort - Sports