The University chose Patkau Architects of Canada as the designer of Penn's newest College House to be built on Hill Square.

The first residential hall to be constructed in over 30 years, Hill Square College House will be designed as a low-rise building enclosing a Quad-like square. There will be approximately 340 living units of various configurations. According to Penn's sustainability goals, it will seek a LEED rating of Gold or higher.

"Our new Hill Square College House will . help to meet the great demand for more on-campus living choices," Penn President Amy Gutmann said in a press release. She added that the design "will fulfill our College House vision of a 24/7 learning community" that also enriches the existing Hill Square Community.

Patkau Architects, based in Vancouver, British Columbia, has designed a number of building types for clients in the U.S. and Canada over the last 25 years. It is an internationally recognized and award-winning architectural design studio.

The architects will be working alongside Philadelphia architecture firm Atkin Olshin Schade Architects, who have worked with Penn past projects such as the Jaffe History of Art Building and the Sadie Tanner Mossell Alexander School.