Penn's 8-5 loss to No. 14 Brown last Saturday was the end of Ivy League play. It was not, however, the end of the world.

While the Quakers were visibly (and understandably) dejected immediately after becoming the Bears' seventh straight victim, they have since taken the game - and season, for that matter - in stride.

And why not?

Whenever Penn had the opportunity to run its set offense against the Bears, it operated the same as it has since day one.

Crisp passes circled around the goal until the ball rested in the pocket of No. 21, Al Kohart. Everyone stared and the crowd was quiet in anticipation of the fire about to be unleashed after he shook the first defender.

No one would want to be on the receiving end of his shot, not even Brown's Jordan Burke, statistically the nation's top goalie.

Kohart put two past him last Saturday from about fifteen yards out.

And, even as most of the Penn offense struggles, any Ancient Eight coach besides Brian Voelker should be a bit worried when looking at a Quakers' stat sheet - especially when the names Kohart and Corey Winkoff come up.

This anxiety will not soon leave the opposition because the two are both freshmen and two of the best in the league.

Although the Quakers remain the only Ivy squad to complete conference play, it's not too early to begin thinking about post-season awards, starting with Ivy League Rookie of the Year.

If a coach's vote of confidence is required, Kohart and Winkoff are on their way. Voelker was reluctant to look past next week's game, but felt the two would definitely be in the running when voting time rolls around.

"Both of them are very talented players," Voelker said. "There are some guys on our team that are hopefully going to get some postseason awards."

Let the statistics speak for themselves. Penn will most likely finish smack in the middle of the Ivy standings, but few teams can tout freshmen of such caliber.

For starters, Kohart and Winkoff alternated Ivy League Rookie of the Week honors the first four weeks of the season.

Winkoff, the attack out of Laurel Hollow, N.Y., is geared towards assists. He leads the Ivy League with 20, six of those coming against Harvard on March 22 - a single-game season high in assists and points for anyone in the Ivy League. No other freshman in the league has more than 11.

He also leads the league with two assists per game, good enough for seventh in the nation.

With eight goals to boot, Winkoff is second on the Quakers in points, with 28 - leading his closest Ivy frosh competitor, Kohart, by eight.

In contrast with Winkoff's quick-play style and sleek physique, Kohart is all about speed and power. The midfielder out of Port Jefferson Station, N.Y., is built like a UFC fighter at 5-foot-11, 205 pounds.

Tied for third on the team in points, Kohart has fifteen goals, second in the league among freshmen.

These New York natives might want to clear their shelves at home. There's sure to be a lot of hardware to display in the next few seasons.