ipcpw8a4
4 Steve Gable Baseball in doubleheader against Yale. Penn lost the first game. Credit: Ryan Leske

For Steve Gable, 300 means more than just a number or a movie or an upper-level college course.

It is a benchmark, a measuring stick for success in one of his passions and the paradigm of perfection in the other.

Gable, the Quakers' sophomore second baseman, is the product of what he calls a "bowling family." His father was a professional bowler; his mother a pin-wrecker at Penn State back in her day.

With those superior genes, Gable touched greatness at a young age, recording a perfect game of 300 during his high-school years.

But when forced to choose which sport to pursue in college, he deemed himself better equipped to swat strikes than to roll them.

"I've been bowling since I was about six, but I always wanted to play college baseball," he said. "It's something I miss now, but I haven't really had time for it here."

No, he's been too busy tearing through the Ivy League.

After going 3-for-3 with two runs batted in during Sunday's win over Brown, Gable raised his batting average to a conference-best .460. His 19 RBI also lead the Quakers.

"He doesn't give in," said Penn coach John Cole. "He's a determined young man, very mentally tough, got a lot of pride. You're starting to see the tip of the iceberg with him."

Gable's freshman numbers hardly predicted this sort of sophomore surge. The Emmaus, Pa., native started 38 of 39 Quakers games last season but hit a meager .210 and drove in just 14 runs in 124 at-bats.

"I think he's proven that last year was an anomaly," senior captain Kyle Armeny said. "He also did so many more things for us last year than just batting .210."

While that may have been the case, could anyone have really projected such a statistical leap from a player whose own coach describes him as "not your stellar, quick, base-stealing type of second baseman?"

"Steve's got tremendous maturity for a young kid, and his work ethic is second to none," Cole said. "We knew he'd overachieve, but a jump from .200 to .400? You never expect that."

Gable credits much of the improvement to being a lifetime student of the game.

"I'm average size, not extremely fast, so any playing time I get comes from being around the game a long time and just picking up little things here and there," he said.

"[My season] definitely should be surprising to a lot of people - and to myself a little bit. But I don't feel like I'm playing over my head right now."

Indeed, as Gable continues to mow through opposing pitchers like they're pins in an alley, the Quakers are convinced they've found a reliable fixture at the top of their lineup.

They're just happy he opted for cleats over bowling shoes.