From supposed sniper fire in Bosnia to comments about "bitter" Americans, Sens. Hillary Clinton and. Barack Obama have dealt with several campaign mishaps in recent weeks.

In this primary season's 21st debate at the National Constitution Center last night, ABC moderators Charles Gibson and George Stephanopoulos wouldn't let them forget that fact.

Almost half of the two-hour debate focused on various campaign missteps, as well as a discussion of electability and patriotism.

Going into the debate, Obama was expected to face questions about his recent comments in San Francisco, where he said small-town Americans are "bitter" and cling to "guns and religion."

Obama acknowledged his mistake last night, saying he "can see how people were offended."

"It's not the first time that I've made a statement that was mangled up," he said. "It's not going to be the last. But let me be very clear about what I meant . which is that people are going through very difficult times right now."

But even after responding to "bitter-gate," questions about topics unrelated to substantial policy issues continued - Obama discussed Rev. Jeremiah Wright, his electability and why he does not wear a flag pin.

"What the American people want are not distractions," Obama said in response to these questions, adding that Americans are "frustrated and angry, because this is what passes for our politics instead of figuring out how do we build coalitions to actually move things forward."

Clinton faced fire with questions about her trustworthiness, particularly her "mistake" in saying she faced sniper fire at an airport in Bosnia during her time as First Lady.

"I'm embarrassed by it," Clinton said. "I've said it was a mistake. And it is, I hope, something that you can look over."

But despite the focus on controversial campaign issues from the past few weeks, the candidates were surprisingly civil.

When asked whether Obama would be able to win against McCain in the fall, Clinton said, "Yes, yes, yes."

"Now, I think that I can do a better job," she added.

But when the candidates were asked if they would be willing to make their opponent vice-president, Clinton and Obama were silent.

"Don't all speak at once," Gibson laughed.

Both Clinton and Obama dodged the question, focusing on the importance of unifying the Democratic party.

"Regardless of the differences there may be between us, and there are differences, they pale in comparison to the differences between us and Senator McCain," Clinton said.

In the second hour, the debate finally focused on major issues, including the Iraq war, the economy and affirmative action.

Yesterday was the one-year anniversary of the massacre at Virginia Tech, and both candidates also spent considerable time addressing gun control.

That issue became a major topic of debate in Philadelphia last week, as Mayor Michael Nutter signed into law five gun-control measures that appear to defy state law.

Both candidates said they respect citizens' right to own guns, but, at the same time, spoke of the need for regulation.

"I respect the rights of lawful gun owners to own guns, to use their guns," Clinton said. "But I also believe that most lawful gun owners, whom I have spoken with for many years across our country, also want to be sure that we keep those guns out of the wrong hands."