13dv6f8f
Penn's Rick Rappo leaves the mat after falling to Ohio's Germane Lindsay in round two of the NCAA Championships. For the first time in 11 years, the Quakers failed to have an All-American.

ST. LOUIS - Coming into this year's NCAA championships, the Penn wrestling program had a streak of at least one All-American in 11 straight years.

That streak is now over.

In a tournament that coach Zeke Jones called "tough," the Quakers had subpar results at this year's three-day Championship at the Scottrade Center in downtown St. Louis. The team finished 34th with 10.5 points. Iowa won the team title with 117.5 points.

Leading the Quakers were sophomore Rollie Peterkin at 125 pounds and senior Zack Shanaman at 165. Both of these two went win, loss, win, win, loss, coming just one round short of All-American status.

Of the eight wins, Shanaman's was the most impressive. He knocked off No. 7-seed Jacob Dieffenbach of Oklahoma State 5-4 in the first round.

"I wrestled that kid already, so I had a good feel for him," Shanaman said. "I wrestled hard and got some good takedowns in the second [period]."

Ironically, a 5-4 margin did in Shanaman, as well. Going up against No. 5 Stephen Dwyer of Nebraska, Shanaman found himself down 3-2 at the end of the first period. He tied it up in the second but ultimately fell, 5-4.

Similarly close - and equally disappointing - was Peterkin's tournament-ending match. Going up against No. 10 James Nicholson of Old Dominion, the ninth-seeded Peterkin pushed his lead to 3-1 with 1:52 remaining in the match. However, with just 25 seconds showing on the clock, Nicholson earned a takedown to tie it up.

The match then proceeded to a sudden victory period. About halfway through the extra minute, Peterkin appeared to be inches away from a takedown. But Nicholson countered, earning a takedown of his own with 28 seconds to go. Just like that, Peterkin's season was over.

Immediately after the ref blew the match over, Jones jumped out of his coach's chair, arms raised in anger. Peterkin was also visibly upset, throwing down his headgear in disgust.

"Peterkin's match was a heartbreak," Jones aid. "In the last 30 seconds [of regulation] it just sort of unraveled, and then in overtime he couldn't secure the takedown."

The other two Penn wrestlers that earned wins were junior Cesar Grajales (149) and senior Lior Zamir (184) - both captains. But their tournaments ended ignominiously. Grajales' ended with a 4-0 decision and Zamir ended his tournament, and career, by being pinned in the quick time of 2:11.

The other four Penn wrestlers - junior Rick Rappo (141 pounds), redshirt freshman Scott Giffin (174), sophomore Thomas Shovlin (197) and junior Trey McLean (heavyweight) - each went 0-2, leaving in the earliest round possible.

"It's sad for the guys since they worked so hard," Jones said. "Hopefully it motivates them for next year."

According to Jones, the motivation kicked in before the championship was even over.

"Every guy's going to be back here [Saturday] at 10 a.m. to watch the consolation finals," he said after his team was eliminated on Friday. "We start tomorrow preparing for next year."