g3zhb6uz
Penn's Kelly Scott pressures Harvard's Niki Finelli on Saturday. The Quakers were blown away in the second half, when Harvard shot 64 percent.

It's been quite the two months for Cornell basketball.

Despite unspectacular numbers from individual players - junior forward Jeomi Maduka's 14.4 points and 7.9 rebounds per game aside - the Big Red continue to stifle Ivy League competition.

They pummelled Yale and Brown by an average of 17 points this weekend, setting several school records. Most notably, their eight consecutive wins and nine conference victories are both program bests.

But the achievements may just be beginning. With Steve Donahue's undefeated gang comfortably atop the Ivy men, there is an intriguing possibility: Cornell, hardly known for its hoops prowess, could walk away with both basketball crowns.

That has happened just twice in the 33 years of Ivy League women's basketball. In each of the 1975-1976 and 1976-1977 seasons, Princeton finished perched on both Ivy pedestals.

As the Tigers and the Quakers dominated the men's side, the women have had considerably more parity, though with a disproportionately low number of female successes from Princeton and Penn.

Thus, for three decades, the champions have stayed different. But for Cornell to change that, it will first have to end another drought. The Big Red have yet to finish atop the women's basketball standings - ever. (The Empire State has not produced much of an empire; Columbia women, too, have never tasted Ivy glory.)

Maduka and her teammate face a crucial New England swing next week. After playing Dartmouth on Friday, they hit Beantown on Saturday. Harvard, just one game behind Cornell, has the best chance of derailing this historic season.

Hard love with hardware. Quakers' coach Pat Knapp may not have gotten a win this weekend, but at least one of his players received recognition from the league office.

Kim Adams was named Ivy League Co-Rookie of the Week, along with Dartmouth's Brittney Smith.

Adams leads the league in conference shooting and three-point shooting percentages. This weekend, the White Plains, N.Y. native scored 25 points while grabbing nine boards and dishing out four assists.

Knapp questioned Adams' defensive awareness, but there's no doubt she can score.

It was the Quakers' first weekly honor of the season. Every team now has at least one recipient, except the lowly Bears, who sit at 2-22 overall.