wrh4g539
Eric Berley from the Franklin Fountain hands a root beer float to College sophomore Rebecca Francus at Sophomore Skimmer, an annual tradition hosted by the Sophomore Class Board. The event was held in the Hall of Flags last night.

It was a sweet night for sophomores yesterday, as they celebrated their biggest event of the year, Sophomore Skimmer.

A total of 600 to 800 students showed up for a Candyland-themed evening of food, music and mingling, Wharton sophomore and class president Arthur Gardner Smith said.

Organized by the class board, the annual tradition took place at Houston Hall's Hall of Flags, which was set up with catered Italian food, Franklin Fountain root beer floats, Insomnia cookies and cotton candy machines - a new addition to past years.

The original Skimmer, which began as an event for juniors, dates back about 20 years, according to Smith. After its transformation into Hey Day, Skimmer became an event for sophomores to "celebrate the finish of their freshman year," said Smith, even though the event occurs during second semester.

Sometimes it is planned as an extension of Spring Fling but has been held earlier the past several years.

"I'd like a larger budget from the University," said Smith. "It's important we have the opportunity to get together like this before we graduate."

A line stretched well across the hall as sophomores gathered to receive two raffle tickets for prizes, which included a 20-inch LCD television, an iPod Touch, a Guitar Hero video game and tickets to the Bridge cinema. Students also received a glass class mug keepsake at the event.

Wharton sophomore Gloria Aghaulor said she thought the best part of the event was "the fact that everything's free - and the prizes are really great."

This year's Skimmer was originally themed Arabian Nights and was scheduled to take place outdoors, but it was later changed to Candyland because of the weather.

In keeping with the theme, Engineering sophomore Carlin Yuen designed "Taste the sophomores" T-shirts decorated with pictures of skittles, which can be purchased online.

"It reminds me of a high school dance," said College sophomore Lindsay Eierman, who described Skimmer as crowded and slightly awkward.

Engineering sophomore Mohamad El Omar said he was very satisfied with the event, though "everybody left really early after they got food." He added he would like to see more students stay until the end.

"It's overcrowded and really constrained, but you get to bump into some friends who you haven't seen for a long time," Aghaulor said.