991hp296
Ali DeLuca won the Ivy League Rookie of the Year last year, and will be asked to carry even more of the load this season for Penn. The Hillsborough, N.J. native had 34 goals, shattering a 27-year-old Penn freshman record

For the women's lacrosse team, the bar has never been set higher, the goal never so lofty.

Coming off their best season in program history, the Quakers will try to top their Final Four appearance, No. 2 ranking and Ivy League Championship with their ultimate goal: ending the season No. 1 with a national championship.

Last year, in addition to their first-ever Final Four berth, the Quakers set team records for highest ranking, wins (16), longest win streak (13) and goals scored (210).

Penn has already gotten some attention. Lacrosse Magazine pegs the team at No. 6 in its preseason rankings. The Red and Blue won't be able to fly under the radar like they have the last couple of years.

"We clearly have to learn how to win with a different motivation, since people are out to get us and won't take us lightly," coach Karin Brower said.

Despite the media's praise, others don't consider the Quakers an elite squad just yet.

"People love to hate us," senior goalkeeper Sarah Waxman said. "They make up excuses like 'Penn's not that good.' I'm excited to beat them again."

"Definitely some people in the Ivy League think [last year] was a fluke," Allison Ambrozy, another senior, said.

At the same time, the Quakers know that this year will be different.

"What we've done really well is to separate this year from last year," senior Rachel Manson said.

Some roster changes will make this easier. The Quakers will miss three starting seniors from last year's squad: Chrissy Muller, who led the team in points, and defenders Karen Jann and Sarah Eastburn.

But the current senior grouping of Manson, Ambrozy and Waxman, along with Melissa Lehman (24 goals, 8 assists) and Chelsea Kocis (13, 2) is just as strong.

The class of 2008 "is an excellent class," Brower said. "They know what it takes to lead. We do have seniority and that's going to help us this year."

The midfield, which returns every starter and reserve, will be led by Ambrozy. Last year, the Grosse Point, Mich. native was the draw control specialist and also added 14 goals and nine assists.

And despite losing Muller, who finished with the third-highest career point total in program history, the attack will still be strong. Manson led the team in goals last year with 36, and 2007 Ivy League Rookie of the Year Ali DeLuca looks to improve on her 34-goal, eight-assist output. So does junior Becca Edwards, who had 32 goals last year.

But potentially the strongest unit will be defense, especially with Waxman in the net. She was named 2007 National Goalkeeper of the Year with a 6.51 goals against average, second-best in the country.

"We're definitely happy Sarah is back," Brower said. "But I think good goalies are made by their defenses and our defense was excellent last year. I think the key is that our 'D' creates the same pressure and the same shots that Sarah's so good at [saving]."

In addition to Waxman, the defense will be led by junior Hilary Renna, who was an All-American last year.

The Quakers have another tough schedule, as the Ivy League will be strong again, and three-time defending champ Northwestern looms in an April 27 game at Franklin Field.

That matchup is especially important, as the Wildcats gave Penn its only two losses last year, including a 12-2 decision in the Final Four.

"We definitely still remember that 12-2 loss in May," Manson said, "and I think that's a feeling we're going to take into this season with us."