For four years straight, the Quakers have blown out Yale at the Palestra, winning by an average of 22 points.

But when they take on the Bulldogs at the John J. Lee Amphitheater - as they will tonight - nothing comes easy.

In two of the last three seasons, the Quakers' lone Ivy League loss came in New Haven, Conn. And even when they clinched an Ivy title there during the 2005-06 season, they barely held on for a 57-55 victory.

"Yale is a team that is completely different on their home court," junior guard Kevin Egee said.

Penn coach Glen Miller offered a simple explanation for why Yale has presented such a tough matchup in the Constitution State.

"[The Bulldogs have] had good talent over the past several years, and they've been a team at the top of our conference," Miller said. "And I think most teams play better at home. They have a nice crowd there, so it's a tough environment to play in."

The Quakers (10-16, 5-4 Ivy League) will try to buck the recent trend on Friday, but, like Yale (10-14, 4-6), the Red and Blue have struggled on the road. Penn is 2-9 overall - including 1-3 in league play - away from the Palestra this season.

Penn hopes to replicate the same formula that led to a 78-65 victory over the Bulldogs two weeks ago.

"Against Yale we came out and really dominated the game at both ends, defensively, did all the little things, played tough," said senior captain Brian Grandieri.

In that game, the Quakers led by as many as 20 points, thanks to 36 points in the paint and 22 made free throws.

"We're always trying to play a physical brand of basketball and get the ball inside offensively and win the battle at the foul line," Miller said.

"Sometimes we're successful, and sometimes we're not, but that's always sound thinking."

To take the crowd out of the game, the Quakers will have to start strong. But that's been a problem all season - they've been outscored by 169 points in the first half, compared to a 23 points in the second.

Although Penn has been all but eliminated from Ivy League title contention, Miller said he will not necessarily alter his rotation to give younger players more experience off the bench this weekend.

"I'm going to give the guys that I think can help us win against Yale and Brown the most minutes," Miller said.

Egee stressed that regardless of the Ivy standings, the season is not over and that it is important to stay motivated.

"There's always something to build on, even if it's to finish strong this season," Egee said. "We've never been in this position before, but we have to motivate ourselves."

The final five games may be a bittersweet ending for the team's seniors, but they aren't going down without a fight.

"I will never be a quitter, and I think there are a lot of guys on the team that have my mentality," Grandieri said.

"I have too much pride to put on this uniform [that] even if we are eliminated from the race, it's not over. I've got five games left - I'll enjoy every one of them."