9uijjfy1
New men's tennis coach Nik DeVore (left) has had quite a ride on his way to Philadelphia. Aside from coaching, he's played on the ATP tour and trained top-500 players.

To say Nik DeVore is driven is an understatement. The first-year men's tennis coach left his job at Loyola Marymount in the sunny confines of Southern California and drove 45 hours to blustery Philadelphia.

He interviewed to be the Quakers coach seven years ago, and now he's back, despite the distance.

"It was a tough move. You can't get much further away," admitted DeVore, who replaces former coach Mark Riley and brings to Penn a wealth of experience as a coach, a player and an academic.

Although born in Michigan, DeVore moved to Colorado when he was 12 years old and claims it as his home. He traveled to Texas for a stint at Tyler Junior College, where he studied sports management.

Unable to stay away from the Rockies, DeVore returned to the Centennial State where he attended the University of Northern Colorado. There, he played No. 1 singles and doubles for the Bears while studying recreation and kinesiology.

"I fell in love with Colorado. I love the outdoors, skiing, biking, all that stuff," said DeVore.

After a three-year stint on the ATP tour and six years as a trainer for top-500 players, DeVore landed his first college coaching position as an assistant at Boise State University.

"I landed an unbelievable opportunity at BSU with one of the best - by far - college coaches in the country, Greg Patton," said DeVore.

"That really sparked my interest. I knew then that I wanted to be a college coach and not a teaching pro at a club anymore."

Following his work in Idaho, DeVore coached U.S. junior teams, during which time he met his wife.

"We both coached a team that traveled throughout Europe together," said DeVore, who went on to oversee men's tennis at Kentucky's Morehead State University.

He eventually landed the position of head coach at Loyola Marymount, where he was in charge of the Lions' program for six years. There, he received West Coast Conference Coach of the Year honors in his inaugural season of 2001-2002.

Though the beauty of the San Fernando Valley is largely unmatched by the densely-populated northeast, DeVore admits he's always had an affinity for the Ivy League.

"Obviously [the Ivies] are all rich in tradition and history, but probably more so now than with any school in the country, Penn is," said DeVore. "People thought I was maybe a little bit crazy for leaving a scholarship school, but to me the Ivy League is the best league in the country."

Penn director of athletics, Steve Bilsky, noted in a press release how lucky the Quakers were to have reeled in DeVore.

"He knows how to win and create winning programs, and we look forward to continued success for our men's tennis program under his guidance."

DeVore is currently renting a place, while he continues to settle in. He enjoys the ability to walk wherever he needs to go as opposed to using a car like in Los Angeles.

He lives with his wife and and two pets: a dog and a cat who both made the cross-country journey in DeVore's car.

"They grew up together; they're best friends," said DeVore. "Those are our children for now."

Although the streets of Philly aren't exactly like Venice Beach, DeVore should feel right at home because, after all, it's always sunny in Philadelphia.