j1v7xfx7
Michael Nutter, Philadelphia's newly inaugurated mayor, has appointed several Penn professors and alumni to prominent positions in his administration.

It's going to be a busy year for newly inaugurated Philadelphia Mayor Michael Nutter, and with his recent staff appointments, the same will be true for several Penn faculty and graduates.

Nutter, a Penn graduate himself, vowed this fall to include university minds in shaping his policy and tackling the major problems in Philadelphia.

And over the past month, Nutter has begun to shape his administration and several members of the Penn community have been appointed as part of Nutter's team.

Wendell Pritchett, a professor at Penn Law, was appointed director of the office of research, planning and policy.

Pritchett previously served as Nutter's campaign policy director.

Donald Schwarz, a professor of pediatrics, became Nutter's deputy mayor for health and opportunity, as well as the health commissioner.

In his new position, Schwarz will lead policy development and the allocation of resources for health services.

Terry Gillen, a graduate of Penn Law, is one of Nutter's long-time advisers and is now his senior adviser for economic development.

Finally, Robert Dubow, a Penn graduate, became Nutter's finance director.

"It's good for the city, and it's good for Penn," University spokeswoman Lori Doyle said.

"We're delighted when our graduates and faculty are called upon for public service," she said. "These appointments are a reflection of the talent here at" Penn.

On Jan. 2, Nutter announced several high-level appointments, including Schwarz as one of his Deputy Mayors.

Other appointments announced that day include Shelley Smith as city solicitor, Melanie Johnson as city representative, Rina Cutler as deputy mayor for transportation and utilities, Everett Gilson as deputy mayor for public safety, Doug Oliver as press secretary and Israel "Izzy" Colon as director of multicultural affairs.

Some experts commended Nutter's efforts to appoint both national and local figures.

"The key thing with his appointments so far is that the mayor did national searches for key appointments but hasn't ruled out those that are already here," said political analyst and St. Joseph's University history professor Randall Miller.

Miller also described feelings of optimism for the city in the wake of the recent appointments.

"A lot of people are looking at Philadelphia as a way to do something extraordinary in city government - there's a real sense of possibility and excitement," he said.