4139q6f8
Junior forward Carrie Biemer (right) has provided almost 30 percent of Penn's offense this year - 16 points per game.

The Rider women's basketball team compiled a dismal 2-28 record last year, including a 77-65 home loss to Penn. But the Quakers are catching the Broncs at the wrong time.

Despite very little turnover on the roster, they have already surpassed last year's win total with a 3-2 start under new coach Lynn Milligan, including a 76-74 victory over Central Florida in their last game.

"Well I really don't know [what accounts for Rider's turnaround]," coach Pat Knapp said. "It's a lot of the same players back. A new coach, I'm sure breathes new life and responsibility into them, but they're not my concern. Penn is my concern."

And the Quakers quietly have picked up some momentum of their own.

Coming off their most complete game of the season - an impressive 70-57 win over Loyola - the team is feeling much better about its chemistry on both sides of the ball.

On offense, turnovers have plagued the Quakers all season, but the team had more assists than turnovers against Loyola for the first time.

"Our turnovers have been decreasing because we are playing together more and we're used to each other a little bit," senior guard Kimberly Franklin said. "And I think as we play more and more together, that will definitely lead to improvement."

On defense, the Quakers seem to have remedied their early troubles against the three-point shot. In its last two games, Penn has allowed only eight three-pointers on less than 30-percent shooting, and perimeter defense will likely be a key again against Rider.

"Containment is very, very big for us," Knapp said. "And that's not rocket science either. . Move your legs, move your feet, shuffle, and then help defense. It's always important to have teammates have your back."

The Broncs rely heavily on senior Janele Henderson, who has averaged over 15 points per game. Last year, Henderson burned Penn for 17 points, including 3-for-7 shooting from beyond the arc.

"The teams that have zoned [Rider] have probably held them down a little bit more, but that doesn't mean that's our best defense," Knapp said. "So we're going to do a little bit of everything. and [Janele] is not the only one we need to worry about."

The Quakers will have to find a way to contain junior forward Shaunice Parker, too, and sophomore point guard Amanda Sepulveda.

Parker has averaged a double-double this season with 10.8 points and 10.6 rebounds per game. Her inside presence may present problems to a Penn team that has struggled with rebounding at times this season.

Sepulveda took over at the point for injured senior Kelli Sawyer. Against Central Florida, she scored 23 points in only 29 minutes, and she has shot 50 percent from beyond the arc this season. Sawyer's injury status is unknown for tomorrow's game.

Despite all of Rider's offensive weapons, the Quakers are confident as long as they play up to their potential.

"They are no different than Loyola, Manhattan, and a bunch of other teams we've played," Knapp said. "We need to play well, and we can win."