933r1889
Jane Eisner, National Constitution Center Vice President for National Programs and Initiatives, moderates a talk between current and former directors of the faith-based initiatives program. Students asked the panel about the program's history and its future. Jane Eisner (left) Jay F. Hein (Middle) - Current Director John J. DiIulio (Right) - Former Director Credit: Mustafa Al-ammar , Mustafa Al-ammar

The departments of State, Defense and Homeland Security are all known institutions in American politics. But what about the Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives?

In an event sponsored by the Fox Leadership Program, Political Science professor and former director of the Office of Faith-Based and Community Initiatives John DiIulio and current Office director Jay Hein discussed its purpose and its successes, failures and future.

Over 50 students and community members attended the event yesterday evening in College Hall.

Jane Eisner, vice president for national programs and initiatives at the National Constitution Center, moderated the event.

The Office was created by President Bush in 2001 with the goal of allowing faith-based and community nonprofit organizations a level playing field in terms of receiving federal support and resources. The federal government also set up Centers for Faith-Based and Community Initiatives in 11 federal agencies.

Responding to the claims that the Office, particularly the "faith-based" aspect, violates the separation of church and state, DiIulio and Hein stressed the importance of using all the nation's resources to solve its social problems, regardless of the religious background of those resources.

"It's really about shooting at one target - a determined attack on need," Hein said. "The government needs to be in the business of working with every group, whether faith-based or secular, large or small."

DiIulio discussed the future of the Office beyond President Bush's term, stating that the next president, especially if he or she is a Democrat, will have to build upon the Office's current successes.

"The new president will have to make sure that we don't turn back the clock on religious freedoms," he said.

Event coordinators said they were pleased with the event as a whole.

"Our goal was to educate students and community members about the impact the Office has, and, more interestingly, what the future holds for the Office," Fox Leadership assistant director Josh Power said. "A lot of interesting points were made, and a lot of good questions were answered."