ct3p3888
Students and Provost Daniels at the World Fair in the Hall of Flags.

The second annual Penn World's Fair 2007, held in Houston Hall yesterday evening, truly lived up to its name as representatives from over 40 groups gathered in the Hall of Flags to share information with interested students.

The Office of the Provost, the Student Committee on Undergraduate Education and Penn Abroad were among the event's sponsors, and a variety of groups ranging from academic organizations to cultural groups to service-based organizations were present.

"We wanted to give students access to opportunities in the international-development field both on and off campus," said College senior Maura Connell, the coordinator of the World's Fair.

"The great thing about this event is that there's really something here for everyone," she added.

The myriad of student groups present at the World's Fair aimed to give students more information about their organizations and to introduce new perspectives.

"Penn is such a diverse campus, but it's very easy to see just a limited portion of that in our day-to-day interactions," said Wharton senior Swathi Bonda, president of the South Asia Society. "The Penn World's Fair is a great way to see another side of the Penn community."

Provost Ron Daniels also spoke at the event, highlighting the importance of exposure to other cultures in solving the major international problems of today.

"There's not one answer as to how one can contribute, but the organizations here today offer a multiplicity of options," Daniels said.

Another aspect of Penn's international-development efforts is the introduction of the first class of Penn World Scholars.

This year's World Scholars are among the top students from their respective countries and form an advisory board for international development at Penn, said World Scholar and Wharton and College freshman Raiam Santos.

"It's great to get to know other students with similar interests from around the world, and to learn more about their cultures," said Santos, who is from Brazil. "We all have a lot to share."

Rob Nelson of the Provost's office, who also coordinates the World Scholars Program, elaborated on the program's advantages.

"It highlights one of the genuine strengths of the Penn student body, which is how international it is," Nelson said.

When asked why the World Scholars Program and the issue of international development is so important, Nelson said, "It's hard to imagine being an educated person in 2007 and not engage with people different from yourself."

And Penn students agree.

"Being involved in these organizations gives students the ability to have experiences they couldn't get on campus," said Matt Owens, a representative for Engineers Without Borders. "It also gives students the chance to get out of the 'Penn Bubble.'"