sz1f9456
University of Pennsylvania Football v. Lafayette Fisher Stadium 09/16/2006 28 Joe Sandberg 98 Kyle Sprenkle Credit: Bill Wells

Robert Irvin is glad he now has passing plays in his head, rather than butterflies in his stomach.

The junior is not the same quarterback he was as a rookie last season, and will get his first chance to prove that at Franklin Field against No. 25 Lafayette tomorrow.

"I know the plays, I know the guys," said Irvin, who started all 10 games last year. "I know what to look for, I know what to expect."

"I'm a little more comfortable than I was last year because I know the game speed, and I'm a little more comfortable in the pocket and knowing the plays."

An older, wiser and slimmer Irvin comes into the 2007 season after throwing for 2,128 yards and a completion percentage of 55.8 last year. He did throw 12 interceptions, compared to 10 touchdowns, but his effort was enough to get him Honorable Mention All-Ivy honors.

Now he's just excited to get going again.

"We're ready to get going - new offense, new people," Irvin said. "It's been a lot of waiting since August 20, practice, practice, practice."

Also returning is running back Joe Sandberg, a dangerous weapon on the offensive side of the ball with a 1,000-yard season under his belt.

In the opener at Easton, Pa. last year, Sandberg ripped the then-No. 22 Leopards for 166 yards on only 24 carries.

"A guy like that is just way too talented, you have to contain him to a point that you don't get your back broken by him," Lafayette coach Frank Tavani said by telephone. "We didn't tackle him very well a year ago, and he had a big day against us."

The line in front of him, though, won't be the same monster group from a year ago. First-team All-Ivy guard Sean Estrada and second-team All-Ivy tackle Marko Grzan graduated from the unit that paved the way for Sandberg and allowed a paltry five sacks.

On the other side of the ball, the defense loses a few key players, but maintains a formidable unit. In first-team All-Ivy players nose guard Naheem Harris and linebacker Joe Anastasio, Penn's defense looks to stay strong against the run. A good part of last season's young secondary is back, too.

Penn coach Al Bagnoli describes Lafayette as having "some speed outside and a big offensive line and two running backs that have been productive." And pressuring new quarterbacks Robert Curley and Michael DiPaola could breed success.

"Typically our defense doesn't just sit back and react," co-captain Anastasio said. "Coach [Ray] Priori likes to throw a lot of different fronts, a lot of different stunts at opposing teams. . I'm sure we'll be pressuring them from the first play of the game until the last play of the game."

Other than winning the all-important turnover battle, Bagnoli cited tackling as a key on defense, something that tells a lot about a team in game one.

The biggest question going in may center on freshman kicker Andrew Samson, brought in to improve on last year's 7-for-15 effort on field goals.

"He looked good this week and looked good last week, so we're cautiously optimistic," Bagnoli said. "He's got a huge upside, a terrific leg, he's got good mechanics. The ball jumps off his foot and gets elevated quickly and now he just has to be able to do the same thing in a game."