fd818285
2007 Spring Fling Concert Tickets to Ben Folds being sold on the walk by Matt Mizrahi, Danny Cohen (guy in middle), and Amanda Santana (girl in green). Credit: Duc-Minh Nguyen

If you weren't able to get Ben Folds and Third Eye Blind tickets during the initial sale, the Social Planning and Events Committee is giving you a second chance.

This morning, SPEC Concerts announced that they will be distributing an additional 200 tickets to the Spring Fling concert through a lottery system.

The about 2,400 tickets available to students for the concert - which will be held on Friday, April 13 in Wynn Commons - were snapped up in the first two days of sales.

"SPEC is trying to ensure that as many students can get to the concert as possible," Wharton senior and SPEC President Catey Mark said. "While we are facing constraints as far as alternate venues or drastically increasing the capacity of Wynn Commons, we're trying our hardest, and we're excited to be able to offer these additional tickets."

The tickets became available after SPEC Concerts negotiated with the Division of Public Safety to expand the concert space and the two artists' management agreed to return some of their held tickets for general sale.

The lottery drawing, which will occur in two rounds, will be open at Specevents.net between 8 a.m. on Tuesday, April 3 and 11:59 p.m. on Saturday, April 7.

First-round winners will be guaranteed the opportunity to buy a ticket. They will be notified via e-mail on Sunday, April 8 and will be able to purchase tickets on Monday, April 9 from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Second-round winners will be notified via e-mail on Wednesday, April 11. They will receive a wristband that will allow them to buy tickets on a first come, first served basis on the day of the concert.

Admission is not guaranteed with the wristband, however, since there will be a slightly higher number of lottery winners than tickets.

All lottery winners will be required to present Penn IDs at the time of purchase in order to ensure that they did, in fact, receive the chance to buy tickets in the lottery.

While the 200 extra tickets will be welcome, some students are still questioning SPEC Concert's decision not to move the concert to a larger venue

"We did evaluate several options to expand the audience to as many people as we could," said Wharton and Engineering senior Matt Mizrahi, the co-director of SPEC Concerts. "Moving the venue was simply not an option. . It wouldn't have been feasible given the number of hoops we had to jump through."

Mark added that there will be a considerable security presence to prevent students from sneaking in without a ticket.