sg6gl744
Spring Fling 2007, April 13th and 14th. Credit: Dave walker

With a serendipitous calm before the year's biggest rainstorm, students across Penn put their license to Fling to good use.

Although the forecasts predicted cold weather and a 30-percent chance of rain on Saturday, most of the two-day carnival was marked by sunny skies and cool but pleasant weather.

"Everything ran really smoothly," said Engineering junior and Fling co-Director Lindsay Motlin.

Motlin added that though there was no real threat of Fling being taken away for next year, "people are conscious that there can't be any huge mishaps in order for it to stay a tradition."

The efforts by the Medical Emergency Response Team and FlingSafe also contributed to the safer atmosphere.

"Students were being more cautious and calling for help sooner rather than later," said College senior Andrew Mener, the chief of MERT.

Wharton senior and Social Planning and Events Committee president Catey Mark added that "the awareness of FlingSafe among the student body is starting to increase."

And since, according to SPEC officials, students acted relatively safely, they were able to enjoy great food and entertainment for 48 hours.

Daytime entertainment featured over 47 performing acts, including many student a capella and dance groups.

"It was great to see so many students support groups," even though many of them played early on in the day, said College junior and Fling co-director Anna Raper.

As per tradition, Mask & Wig rounded out Saturday's performances, which drew a crowd that filled the Lower Quadrangle, perhaps because of the show's finale: almost-naked senior men.

And, despite somewhat lower attendance on Friday - which is usually a trend, Mark said - food vendors seemed to be happy with their sales.

Motlin said the usual vendors, including Fat Jack's, Liberty Concessions, Festival Food Management and Classic Concessions, will most likely be back next year, so the fried Oreos will be plentiful.

The festivities continued into Saturday night, when attendance at the annual Carnival, with free food and games, "increased exponentially" despite a light drizzle, Mark said.

"The manager of the inflatable company and the food vendors were . shocked by how quickly they went through food," College sophomore and Fling co-director Ashley Cash said.

She added that the line for free Pat's cheesesteaks started a little before 8 p.m., and that they were sold out by 9:30, despite an increased order from last year.

In general, students said this year's Fling was a good one.

"I liked that I got to see all my friends in the Quad," said Wharton and Engineering freshman Matt Belgiovine.

And although College senior Julie Sheetz said the experience of Fling changes as you get older, she said enjoyed herself.

"I noticed this year that a lot of my friends who are seniors stayed home and only went to the Quad to see groups [that they had friends in] perform," she said.