1kobj811
Hey Day Credit: Fred David

The Senior Class Board announced last week that the class trip to Atlantic City during senior week will be cancelled if behavior at this year's Hey Day does not improve.

Wharton senior and class president Andrew Kaplan said the trip is one of the "most appealing events of senior week," making the threat of its cancellation a strong disincentive for seniors to haze juniors.

If behavior does not improve this year, Hey Day will also be moved from the spring semester, for rising seniors, to the fall semester, for new seniors.

Following this year's event, the Hey Day working group - which includes representatives from the junior and senior class boards, the Undergraduate Assembly, the Office of the Vice Provost for University Life, the President's office, the Provost's office and the Division of Public Safety - will make a qualitative judgment about the success of the event based on the number of injuries, the cost of cleanup and participation at the senior class picnic.

Earlier this year, the working group determined that, in order to attend the picnic, which occurs just before the Hey Day procession, seniors must sign a pledge of responsibility that promises they will only throw items provided at the picnic - tentatively, streamers and marshmallows - at the juniors.

Earlier this year, the group announced that there will be no changes to the procession route or to the address given by University President Amy Gutmann in front of College Hall.

Kaplan was optimistic about the future of Hey Day, a tradition that has taken place for the last 91 years.

"Students realize that Hey Day is in question, and I think they will take all consequences very seriously," he said.

"But," he added, "I think the biggest consequence will be having the Class of 2007 known as 'the class that killed Hey Day.'"

Hey Day festivities will take place April 20. The senior class picnic - named "Hey Deja Vu" this year - will take place at 1:30 p.m. and will be followed by the junior class procession.