dbozd5f2
Rachel Manson netted three goals against Cornell on Saturday, including two in the second half to help lift Penn to a 14-9 victory.

Defense may win championships, but offense can win games.

The Penn women's lacrosse team proved that on Saturday, defeating Cornell 14-9 in a high-scoring affair on Franklin Field.

Unlike their previous two wins when they gave up a combined nine goals, the No. 16 Quakers (6-1, 2-0 Ivy) had to rely on their offense, especially in the second half when Cornell (2-5, 1-1) went on a 4-0 run.

"I did think it was going to be high scoring, since we tend to score around 14 or 15," coach Karin Brower said. "We knew we'd be the stronger team coming in, but Cornell always plays well against us. We haven't played well with Cornell the last two years, so I'm happy with today's results."

Last year in Ithaca the Quakers gave up nine first-half goals in a 12-4 loss, and the previous year they lost by two at home.

"We wanted this so badly, especially after last year," junior attacker Rachel Manson said. "[Last year] we came out flat, even though we knew we could beat them. This just proves that we can."

Avoiding another slow-opening half was key for the Quakers.

"It was a great start," Brower said. "We got the first two goals, and you've got to love that. We totally dictated the first half, which was excellent."

During this half the Quakers went on a 6-0 spurt to break open a 2-2 tie, just like in their previous two wins when they went on 10-0 and 5-0 runs.

But the Big Red gained some momentum going into halftime, when three swift passes culminated in a goal as the buzzer sounded.

Whether this shot affected the team's play or not, the second half was drastically different for the Quakers.

"In the second half we weren't winning the draws," Brower said. "And when we don't win the draws, they keep coming down into our third of the field and we're always on defense. They also did a good job of pressing us in the midfield."

In fact, aside from two Penn goals to clinch the victory in the final few minutes, the Big Red outscored Penn 6-4 in the second half.

"We had some scary plays today," Manson said. "But everyone had each other's backs. If one person made a mistake a teammate made up for it. We just wanted it so badly."

Individually for the Quakers, freshman attacker Ali DeLuca led the team with four goals, while Manson and fellow junior midfielder Melissa Lehman each had three goals and an assist.

"I was just going really hard," Manson said. "We were all fired up, and when everyone wants it that badly, I think it's really easy to step up."

The Quakers will need that energy the next time they play, as they travel to take on No. 13 Johns Hopkins this Wednesday in a game that might be as high scoring as Saturday's.

At least the Quakers know what they will need to do to win that kind of game.